Marching, aka Pistons, is an excellent core exercise for all levels, especially beginners. It focuses on core stabilization. When doing the exercise nothing on the mat should move. If there is a change in your low back decrease the range of motion.
Please review the modifications before attempting the exercise and use them as needed. If you have any questions, please contact me.
- Lie on your back with bent legs, feet on the floor, and arms along your side
- Brace your core and maintain a strong abdominal connection throughout all movements
- Bring one leg at a time to a table-top position
- Keep both legs bent and lower one leg towards the floor
- Hover the moving leg a few inches off the mat and hold for 3-5 seconds
- Make sure the moving leg maintains a 90 degree bend at the knee, do not straighten the leg
- Return the leg back to table-top
- Repeat on the other side
This video is intended for educational purposes only. It is meant to help you remember what you have done with me during our sessions. Please be sure to ask me if you cannot remember “your version” of this exercise.