Dying Bug, aka Dead Bug, is a progression from Marching and another excellent core exercise for all levels. It focuses on core stabilization and requires a little more coordination than Marching. When doing the exercise nothing on the mat should move. If there is a change in your low back or shoulder region decrease the range of motion.
Please review the modifications before attempting the exercise and use them as needed. If you have any questions, please contact me.
- Lie on your back with bent legs, feet on the floor, and arms reaching to the ceiling
- Brace your core and maintain a strong abdominal connection throughout all movements
- Bring one leg at a time to a table-top position
- Straighten one leg out in front of you, your angle will range from 30-90 degrees depending on stability (start at 90 and progress to lower)
- Simultaneously reach the opposite arm behind you
- Hold the position for 3-5 seconds
- Return the leg and opposite arm back to their original positions
- Repeat on the other side
This video is intended for educational purposes only. It is meant to help you remember what you have done with me during our sessions. Please be sure to ask me if you cannot remember “your version” of this exercise.